Thursday, January 20, 2005

-DIDI- my grandpa

Today I went to a funeral. No it wasn't my grandpas, but it was the first military ceremony I have been to since my grandpa was laid to rest eight years ago. Taps...Why is this song so touching and why are the shots that are fired so heart wrenching? How can time stand so still as those guns are being fired? As the shots rang in my ear one after another, my life was right back in California when my grandpa died. I did not realize until today how much I have missed my grandfather over the years or how much I have tried to put the feeling of loss behind me. As I drove home my guts fell out I sat there remembering all that had taken place eight years ago. I can see what was going on as they shot off the guns. I can smell the dust floating in the hot sun. I can hear the taps play from over head and I can see the men fold my grandfathers flag and with each step they would pause as in to remember another fallen soldier. I can see my grandmother receive her flag from off of the casket, and remember the tears that were in her eyes that just seemed to continue to flow. So tonight I sit here and remember all the good times that happened when he was alive and all the fun I used to have as we would sail in his sail boat around Shadow Cliffs. I miss him so much...

2 comments:

Paul said...

You speak beautifully when you speak from your heart. It is from such a great man as your grandpa that the standards are set so high for us. I look forward to the day when I get to meet him.

Anonymous said...

It is the scent and smiles of the patriarchs that we remember. Father, let us appreciate the men that have fought for our freedoms...Spritually and physically.