Today I saw a friend named Chris. He needed a little money so I gave him some. There were some older people walking by and they looked at me as though I should not be giving my friend money. They looked at me disturbed, then looked at my friend and again back at me holding my daughters hand. I think I caught their attention today but I wonder what they were thinking. I wonder if they thought that I was doing something stupid (like their faces said) or I wonder if they were looking into their heart thinking that they should be doing something for the homeless in our community. You see I think that people forget about the homeless in our community. I think that they forget everyday that their are people less fortunate then they. I think they forget that each one of those people were just like us at one point. I think we forget they all were born in a birthing center (hospital or home),they all had a mom and dad, they all played out in their backyards, that they had food to eat day to day. I'm sure they thought that they would never be where they are today, homeless; with one pair of clothes a year, maybe one meal a week, haven't bathed in quite some time. I'm sure they never thought that it could be them.
when you see a homeless man or woman on the street what do you think? What do you think when you see someone helping them? What if that person helping has a little child observing ? Do you condemn them for doing what they are doing or do you give praise that there is someone taking care of the homeless? Do you think that we should be showing our children that we need to be taking care of the people, all people, no matter what. Do you pass judgment on that person? Do you think that they are there because they want to be, or that they are there because they use substances? They may be there for those reasons or they might just be in a rough spot.
I think that we are not to judge why they are there, I believe that we are just supposed to help them. Even Jesus doesn't say judge then help, all Jesus says is to help. I think that if more people helped with less judging there would be less people condemning those of us who do think we should be helping and are helping.
Jesus says in Matthew 25:
35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Who is the least? is it the people who are on the street?
something to ponder..............................................................
No comments:
Post a Comment